Professional Window and Door Installation
How do you find a good window and door contractor?
Before hiring a contractor for a remodeling project, it is crucial to ask the right questions to get the best contractor for the job. Be sure to request evidence of contractor insurance, proof of contractor license, and any available references from previous clients. Ask about their experience in the specific area, such as roofing or framing, and ensure they are experienced in all project phases. Understand the scope of their complete services and what materials will be used during construction. Clarify their payment terms, methods of communication (emails, calls, text), and timeline expectations. Finally, ensure you have an agreement in writing before work begins and discuss specific measures if things don’t go as planned. Collecting these details before beginning will help set expectations between contractor and homeowner early on while ensuring successful service delivery.
In most areas of the country, window and door contractors are found in various ways.
- Purchase replacement windows and doors from your local replacement window and door company and have them install them for you.
- Choose a contractor or re-modeler who specializes in window and door replacement
- Contact companies who have done work for you in the past
- Ask friends, family members, and co-workers for window installation referrals about other companies
- How long has your company been in business?
- Are your window installers professionally trained?
- Are your installers licensed, bonded, and insured?
- Are your installers EPA-certified in lead-safe installation methods
Look for companies selected for their skill and professionalism and trained by manufacturers to sell and install their products.
Measuring your openings
Measuring your openings is an exact science. The right fit is critical to your windows’ operational performance and energy efficiency. Let a pro do it for you to make it easy and ensure a precise fit.
Removing your old windows
Your old windows must be disposed of responsibly. This must be done carefully to avoid damage to your home’s walls. When choosing replacement windows, please ensure the installers will haul away your old ones for free.
Ensuring a weather-tight fit
- Extra care must ensure your new window or door is plumb, level, and square in the opening.
- It is essential to install insulation between the window and your wall.
- Your window should be well sealed to the wall to prevent air and water from entering your home and causing damage.
- InstallationMasters Window and Door Installation Methods are recommended to provide exceptional protection from air and water infiltration.
- It is vital to check each window for proper operation.
- Windows should be finished (painted or stained) and hardware installed.
- Interior and exterior trim must be replaced and finished, if necessary.
- The installers need to be respectful of your home and your time. We’ll keep our work area clean, vacuum when we leave, and explain the operation and care of your new products.
Lastly, give yourself plenty of time before signing up with anyone; don’t be afraid to ask questions; always receive estimates before agreeing to do business with someone; negotiate prices without sacrificing quality service – not all installers will be offering competitive rates, so shop around first before making hire decisions. Above all trust your intuition – if something doesn’t feel right then don’t proceed! Once those points are taken care of, you’ll likely find a reliable and satisfactory window and door installer best suited for meeting your needs.