Category : Replacement Windows
Quality window installation involves more than following a series of steps. It also requires using the proper installation method for the application with the proper supplemental products and in the proper sequence. This may or may not be specifically spelled out. For either case, here are some tips from the field that will help installation go smoothly.
- Be familiar with the Standard Installation Practice ASTM E2112. Understanding this foundational fenestration document is critical to sound installation. Many manufacturers even reference this document in their own installation instructions.
- Be familiar with regional code window installation requirements for your area. Most manufacturer installation instructions defer to code. Yet, in many cases, construction code(s) specify manufacturer installation instructions. Ultimately, there’s a shared “balance” of information.
- Communicate dealer to manufacturer, dealer to installer, installer to homeowner, and every other possible channel. Communication can fail an installation or save it.
- Order windows as factory-complete as possible. Include installed jamb extensions, exterior trim and completed mulling whenever possible. Ship with “sash out” if manageable weight is a factor. A thorough order will save significant installation time. Sweat the details on the takeoff.
- For full-frame replacement sizing, factor in all three perimeter widths and heights of each opening. Consider interior trim-to-trim (or returns), exterior veneer-to-veneer and rough opening before ordering the windows. You may have to settle on the highest priority perimeter but, if you don’t, you’ll spend much additional time fitting the window.
Original article found here